I received my Media degree from the University of West GA and have been working at Lindley 6th Grade Academy during the past year. I'm very excited to be coming back to elementary! Prior to this I spent many years in the business world. I live in Marietta with my husband and 2 daughters. Some of my interests include arts and crafts, genealogy, college football (Clemson Tigers!), travel and of course reading!
We've made a few changes that you may have heard about. Some of these include:
- introducing K,1 and 2 to the different sections in the Media Center. We talked about how the mailman delivers mail to our address and how every book has its own address! We are in the process of marking the non-fiction books that are for early readers so that they can find their "just-right" book. Students are welcome to check out books from any section in the Media Center (but teachers and parents have veto power!)
- Adding a number of new books and students are enjoying checking those out. A number of these are the GA Picture Book nominees the K and 1 will be working with in the coming months.
- Adding numeric keypads at the circulation desk. Students can now key in their lunch/computer number to bring up their names. Makes checkout go faster!
We have also received several book donations in honor of Mrs. Lamothe on her retirement. Thanks PTSA and Bullard Faculty and Staff! We wish Mrs. Lamothe the best in her new adventures!
I will be starting lessons with all grade levels in the next week.
- K & 1 will be learning about the GA Picture Book awards that I mentioned previously. We will finish those up in March when we vote for our favorite.
- 2 is studying fairytales and folktales so we will be reading and discussing adaptations of well-known stories (Dusty Locks and the 3 Bears, The True Story of the Big Bad Wolf).
- 3,4 and 5 will be introduced to Destiny Quest. Destiny is the catalog system that we use in Cobb County. Destiny Quest is a platform within Destiny that allows students to place holds on books, refer and review books, create personal lists and check their accounts from home. We will follow this up with an introduction to MackinVia- the new home of the Cobb Digital Library and our e-book collections.
Again, thanks so much for the warm welcome! Mrs. Bogale and I welcome visitors and are always looking for volunteers. Have a great month and stay warm!